You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions




Naval Science Program


College /University Athletics



Naval Science Building Facilities




1. Does the NROTC scholarship cover enrollment fees, or will I need to pay these?
No the scholarship does not reimburse the student, nor does it pay enrollment/application fees.

2. Does the scholarship cover room/board and meals? Or will I receive a stipend for meals?
Room and board are not paid by the scholarship; those are out of pocket expenses. However, the NROTC's crosstown affiliation, Westminster College, waives/includes these fees in their tuition for NROTC scholarship students no in a disciplinary/Leave of Absence Status. Note, if you forego and/or lose your scholarship, you must pay all fees back (this includes housing cost as it is built into Westminster Tuition). The scholarship does include a monthly stipend and increases incrementally each academic year. Stipends should be used for meals and other living expenses.

3. I was awarded a scholarship, but am considering delaying entry into school for two years for a religious mission, will that affect my scholarship?
If you plan to delay entry prior to arriving at the NROTC Unit, you will need to contact the NSTC OD or MCRC as applicable for further guidance. In the past, students have been offered a leave of absence if accepted for a religious mission. Leaves of Absence (LOA) for religious missions, after arrival at the NROTC Unit, are processed through the Unit.

4. I am currently in the Reserves; will I be discharged if I receive a scholarship?
Yes, if you are awarded a scholarship, you will be released from the active reserves. Please ensure you coordinate and discuss this with your reserve chain of command.

5. How do I apply for an NROTC scholarship?
For all national scholarships (Four, three, and two year) you must apply through the main NROTC website: Information regarding documents required and eligibility are provided on this site. Please review this site before contacting the NROTC Unit.
A secondary option is available for those students with over 30 credit hours, called the College Program. In order to apply for this scholarship, you must schedule an appointment with an advisor at (801) 581-6723. All physical requirements described at the above site and a minimum college GPA of 2.5 is needed in order to compete for this scholarship.

6. The University of Utah NROTC program has a crosstown agreement with which College/University?
Westminster College 

7. What if I do not need or want a scholarship, can I still participate in the NROTC program and be commissioned?
Unfortunately, in order to become a commissioned officer through the NROTC program you must have a scholarship or have qualified for the college program advance standing. Otherwise you would need to visit a local recruiter or Officer Selection Officer for information about OCS/OCC after graduation. For more information on these programs refer to: or Naval Science classes are open to all students at the University of Utah, regardless of affiliation with the NROTC program.

8. What majors are available under the scholarship?
Majors are categorized in three tiers. Tier 1: Engineering programs of Navy interest, Tier 2: Other engineering, math & science programs, Tier 3: Foreign Language and studies not included in Tier 1 or 2. For further specifics, please go to For Marine option midshipmen, this is not a requirement.

9. Are there age requirements?
Yes, you must be 17 years old by September 1 of the first year of college and younger than 23 years old on December 31 of that year. Must not have reached your 27th birthday by December 31st in the year in which you are eligible for graduation and commissioned status. An age waiver may be granted forprior active military service.

10. Am I required to serve after completing my degree?
Yes, four years for Marines, and five years for all other Navy occupations (some warfare specialties require additional service).

11. Is there a limit to the number of NROTC students?
The number of NROTC students is determined by NSTC based on numerous factors. Utah has no control of selection or how many students are assigned here.

12. Are there graduate level scholarships available?
Unfortunately our program is for undergraduates only. For information on graduate school opportunities, please contact your local recruiter, who can be found at or

13. Which school of Nursing is preferred, Westminster or University of Utah?
Unfortunately, the University of Utah and Westminster Nursing Programs are not available to Navy Nursing Scholarship awardees.

Scroll To Top Up Arrow


1. Will I be staying in a dorm?
Crosstown affiliate, Westminster College, requires all freshmen to live in dormitories. The University of Utah does not, but if you choose to you will be required to purchase a meal plan.

Scroll To TopUp Arrow


1. Is there medical coverage?
Only students in an active duty status receive full-time medical coverage. Midshipmen will receive coverage during summer training. If at any time you are injured while participating in an NROTC required event, you may petition for the Navy to pay for medical costs, this is similar to filing a worker's compensation claim.

Scroll To Top Up Arrow

Naval Science Building Facilities

1. I was informed there was a firing range located at the Naval Science Building, is it open for anyone to use?
There is a firing range with designated public hours; but in accordance with Utah law the following requirements must be met before using this facility: Proof of insurance with coverage of at least one million dollars, must be a sanctioned organization (no single individual), the group must have one person qualified as a range safety officer, and only air pistols are allowed. Exceptions include those involved with the Utah Perision Marksmanship Society (UPMS) or NROTC. For further information, please contact the NROTC at (801) 581-6723.

2. What caliber of firearm is permitted in the firing range?
The range allows up to a 45 caliber pistol and .22 caliber rifle. No hollow points are allowed.

3. I would like to schedule the Naval Science Gymnasium (Room 105), what is the proper process?
For events and/or classes wishing to use the gym facilites during business hours or during the weekend, please contact the scheduling office at

Scroll To Top  Up Arrow 

Naval Science Program

1. Are all midshipmen required to take summer training? If so, how long does it last?
All midshipmen are required to participate in summer training. Prior to their freshman year, all students are highly encouraged to attend New Student Orientation. The summer between freshman and sophomore year all students will participate in CONTRAMID for approximately four weeks. The summer between their sophomore and junior year Navy option midshipmen will participate in a second class cruise between 2 and 4 weeks, and Marine options may attend Mountain Warfare Training Center for two weeks. The summer between their junior and senior year Navy options will participate in their 1st class cruise for 2 to 4 weeks and Marine options are sent to OCS for 10 weeks.

2. Is there any "common knowledge" I should begin studying prior to NSO?
Maintain physical fitness and review the Midshipmen Handbook that will be sent to you once accepted.

3. What should I expect from my classes?
Expect to take 15-18 credit hours a semester. These will be a combination of Naval Science and degree required courses. As an NROTC student you will have two advisors, one for your University degree program and a second for the NROTC program.

4. What if I must exceed the four year scholarship? Would I have to pay out of pocket for the last year or semester?
If your degree requires more than eight terms (18 credit hours/term) to complete, you may petition for fifth year benefits.

5. What type of GPA am I expected to maintain?
The NROTC Program requires a minimum GPA of 2.5; however, most college departments require a higher minimum for their programs.

6. Does the NROTC participate in events with other ROTC units?
Yes, every year we compete with other NROTC units from other the Pacific Northwest Schools. Intramural sports are also conducted with the other ROTC units on campus (Army and Air Force).

7. Are there any language opportunities available?
Yes, the University of Utah offers several language programs and opportunities: The Navy also offers a language grant program called Project Go:

8. As a midshipmen or active duty student what standards are expected?
Refer to the Midshipmen handbook under "New Students."

9. I do not want to be in the NROTC, but am interested in taking Naval Science classes. Is that possible?
Yes, you do not have to be in NROTC to take Naval Science classes. All classes are open to University of Utah students. Non-NROTC students will only be required to take the lecture portion, and not the lab. The lab is for NROTC students only. However, in order to register for the class you have to register for both. If the lab time causes issues in registering for other courses, then please stop by the main office at the Naval Science building to receive a permission code to register for the course.

Scroll To Top Up Arrow

College/University Athletics

1. I am interested in participating in a University Athletics team, is that possible while participating in NROTC?
We have had midshipmen participate in University Athletics team; however, each case must be reviewed by the Commanding Officer.

Scroll To Top  Up Arrow 


1. Are there recruiters available to speak about enlisting?
No, this is not a recruiting station; this is an academic department with information on the undergraduate degree officer Navy/Marine training program (NROTC). If you are not interested in participating in the NROTC program, please contact your local recruiter who can be found at or

2. Can I be deployed while in school, under the scholarship?
This is highly unlikely; several factors would have to fall into place before this happens, and that has not happened in the last 70 years.

3. Is the NROTC just Navy?
No, the NROTC is both Navy and Marines.

4. I would like the NROTC to present colors during our event/ceremony, who do I contact?
Please fill out the color guard request form on our contact page and email it to We will follow up with you as sooon as possible. Please note the color guard is only available on the weekends during the academic school year. All facilities must have at least a 14 ft clearance in order for the color guard to operate.


Last Updated: 2/25/19