Skip to content

Main Navigation

History


  

Since the unit was originally established, the following officers have served as Commanding Officer and Professor of Naval Science:

 

Captain J. P. Thew                        1945-1948

Captain H. J. Dean                        1979-1982

Captain F. C. Camp                         1948-1951

Captain D. A. Dungan               1982-1986

Captain R. N. S. Clark                  1951-1954

Captain P. A. Griffin                 1986-1990

Colonel C. L. Banks                     1954-1957

Captain D. F. Rahn                       1990-1992

Captain D. H. McClintock         1957-1960

Commander D. O. Bettinson

                                                                 1992-1993

Captain F. J. Fitzpatrick            1960-1961

Commander C. F. Wittenberg

                                                                1993-1995

Captain F. G. Dierman                 1961-1965

Captain D. C. Brown                   1995-1998

Captain C. W. Smith                     1965-1969

Captain F. G. Orchard               1998-2001

Captain F. J. Shaw                         1969-1972

Captain T. L. Walstrom           2001-2005

Captain F. C. Gilmore                  1972-1976

Captain T. J. Lawrence            2005-2008

Captain R. V. Hansen                   1976-1979

CAPTAIN P. KESSLER                       2008-2012

CAPTAIN J. J. HOUSINGER               2012-2015

CAPTAIN MARK F. SPRINGER       2015-2018

CAPTAIN T.D. VANDEGRIFT 2018-PRESENT

 
 
 

NAVAL RESERVE OFFICERS TRAINING CORPS

 The Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) Program was first established in 1926 to provide a broad base of citizens knowledgeable in the arts and sciences of Naval Warfare.  It was not until 1932 that the Marine Corps joined.  Then, in 1972 females were allowed to participate.  Today the program continues educating both young men and women to be successful officers in the United States Navy and Marine Corps.  Since its establishment, the program has had several famous graduates

The University of Utah's NROTC Unit was established on 15 August 1945.  The Unit's first campus home was located in the Field House near Rice Eccles Stadium, where the NROTC personnel were quartered.  Meals were served in the Union Building cafeteria and Naval Science classes were held wherever classroom space was available.

On 3 August 1946, the Naval Science Building was completed on campus at a cost of $203,000.  The building contains an armory, a library, offices, classrooms, supply spaces, and a small bore firing range. This officially became the Unit's home in early 1947.  At the beginning of the 1990's, the Unit was selected for disestablishment.  It was, however, reestablished in 1994 and continues to grow. 

 

uofu seal

USN          USMC

 

For further information regarding NROTC history, please visit www.nrotc.navy.mil.

Last Updated: 4/2/20