Skip to content

Active Duty Frequently Asked Questions

1. I am interested in the STA-21 Program, how do I apply?

The first step is to visit to determine if you are eligible and then continue with the application process. Once accepted into the program, you must apply to a University with an NROTC Unit and receive an acceptance letter before continuing on in the program.

2. I am interested in the MECEP program, how do I apply?

Visit MARADMIN 191/20 & MARADMIN 166/20 to locate application deadlines for the MECEP program and review MCO 1040.43B for application instructions to continue with the appilcation process.  Once accepted into the program, you must apply to a University with an NROTC Unit and receive an acceptance letter before continuing on in the program.

3. What can I expect when I check in as a STA-21 or MECEP student?

Please contact the NROTC before checking in, this helps us prepare for your arrival.  STA-21 students arrive in your khaki uniform and MECEP students arrive in your alphas .  There are a few items you will need to be sure to bring with you, please review the check list provided here: RECEIVED ORDERS TO THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH:  CHECK-IN PROCESS

4. I am in the Reserves, am I able to participate in the NROTC Commissioning Program?

There is a possibility to apply for either the STA-21 or MECEP programs.  For Navy please review and for MECEP please review MCO 1040.43BMARADMIN 191/20, & MARADMIN 166/20 for further information.

5. I have applied to the University of Utah, is there any way you can assist in expediting the process? Are there any waivers?

Unfortunately, we have no say in the admissions process and we encourage all applicants to apply as soon as possible.  If you are crunched for time we recommend calling the Office of Admissions at (801) 581-8761 and explain your situation.  Generally they are able to assist in expediting.

6. I need to defer my admissions, how do I go about this?

Deferring your admissions is very simple.  Go to the Office of Admissions webpage and on the right hand column click on "Admitted: What's Next?"  On the right hand side you will see "Admission Deferment" where you will find another link that takes you to a login page.  Use your CIS information to fill out a Request form.  After the form has been completed, contact the Office of Admissions to see if a letter is required from the Naval Science Department explaining your deferment.  You will need to pay your deposit in order for the University to hold your spot.

7. I need a departmental letter to defer my admissions, with whom do I need to speak?

Please contact our Main Office (801) 581-6723 explaining you are an incoming STA-21/MECEP student who is deferring his/her admissions and a letter from the Naval Science Department is needed.  The department will write a letter on your behalf and send it to the Admissions Office.

8. How do I register for classes?

Once you have paid the enrollment fee, registered, completed New Student Orientation (NSO), and provided your immunization records to Health Services you will then be able to register for classes through CIS.  Registering for classes should be discussed during NSO.  If you have any issues, please contact our Main Office (801) 581-6723.

9. How many hours per semester do I need to take?

The Regulations for Officer Development (The ROD) requires STA-21 students to take 15-18 credit hours per semester and be a full-time student (12 credit hours) in the summer in order to complete their degree requirements within the 36 month timeframe.  MECEP students must be in a full-time student status, which requires at least 12 credit hours per semester (to include the summer term) and they must complete their degree within four years.

10. What is a Degree Completion Plan? Why do I need one?

Degree Completion Plans are all the classes and electives you will need to take while attending the University of Utah to graduate with your degree.  It helps organize your undergraduate career for each semester to assist you in registering for courses and verify you take all the required classes to graduate.  This plan is not definite and may change depending on your degree requirements.  You must talk with an advisor in the department your degree falls under to make this as accurate as possible.

11. What courses outside my degree are required?

STA-21 students are required to take Leadership & Ethics (NVSC 4020), Leadership & Management (NVSC 2000), Naval Science Labs, English (6 hrs.), World Culture/Regional (3 hrs.), Physics (6 hrs.), and Calculus (6 hrs.) on top of their degree requirements.  MECEP students are required to take Amphibious Warfare (NVSC 3110), Leadership & Ethics (NVSC 4020), and Naval Science Labs.

12. Are there tutors available?

Yes, the NROTC Unit has a tutor available throughout the year for students to meet with.  If the subject is outside the tutor's expertise, the University of Utah has instructors on each subject available to meet with students on campus.  For more information, please visit our "Current Student" page and click Campus Resources.

13. Are there mandatory study hours I have to participate in?

Yes, please see your Advisor and refer to the Batallion Handbook.  We recommend all students take advantage of the wardroom, study room, and computer lab for studying.  These rooms are only available to the NROTC Unit and are generally quiet and available to use at any time of the day within NROTC hours of operation.

14. How much is tuition?

Tuition is based on your year and number of credit hours.  A full-time student generally pays anywhere from $3,000-$4,000 a semester (remember, you are eligible for in-state tuition rates).  Tuition includes additional class fees and a UTA pass.

15. What scholarship/financial assistance is available for me as a MECEP?

There are several ways MECEP students can receive financial assistance.  Contact the Veteran's Support Center (801) 587-7722 to discuss the possibility of using your GI Bill and they can also assist in finding available scholarships and/or financial aid assistance.  If you are a Purple Heart recipient you receive free tuition.

16. Who do I speak with about payment issues? Tuition payment?

For military payment issues, please speak with our Supply Technician, Joe Costello, upon arrival.  He will be able to assist you with most issues.  STA-21 students should speak with our Supply Technician, Joe Costello, in regards to their allotted tuition given through the STA-21 program.  Tuition payment for MECEP students are handled at the Tuition Office located in the Student Services Building (SSB) on campus.

17. Are texbooks rentals or do I have to purchase them?

Unfortunately, the University of Utah does not have a book rental program.  Most of the course materials can be purchased at a lower cost through Amazon or the Campus Store has used materials for purchase.  Naval Science books are provided by the NROTC Unit.

18. How much time does NROTC participation take up during the week?

This depends on whether you have duty during the week, if you are taking any Naval Science Courses that semester, and your battalion responsibilities.  Generally, you will spend every other morning performing drill and/or physical training as well as every Thursday afternoon you will attend lab from 1500-1700.  This ends up adding up to about 10 hours a week.

19. What will I do during the summers and holiday breaks as a STA-21 or MECEP?

All Active Duty students are required to attend classes year-round and, unless you are on leave, you are required to be available and on deck during University breaks.  Leave is generally granted during holiday if requested.

20. Where should I live? I have children, where are the best schools?

Our FAMILY page shows a few of the places our personnel and students currently live.  There are also links regarding school rankings and rental/realtor companies in the area for your convenience.  If you have any questions regarding a particular location, please contact our Main Office (801) 581-6723 and we will be happy to help.

Last Updated: 4/20/22