You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions

 1. How many hours per semester do I need to take?

The Regulations for Officer Development (link to excerpt) requires STA-21 students to take 15-18 credit hours per semester and be a full-time student (12 credit hours) in the summer, in order to complete their degree requirements within the 36 month timeframe. MECEP students must be in a full time student status, which requires at least 12 credit hours per semester to include the summer term and they must complete their degree within four years.

2. I have applied to the University of Utah, is there any way you can assist in expediting the process? Are there any waivers?

Unfortunately, we have no say in the admissions process and we encourage all applicants to apply as soon as possible. If you are crunched for time we recommend calling the Office of Admissions at (801) 581-8761 and explain your situation. Generally they are able to assist in expediting.

3. What is a degree completion plan? Why do I need one?

Degree Completion Plans are all the classes and electives you will need to take while attending the University of Utah to graduate with your degree. It helps organize your undergraduate career for each semester to assist you in registering for courses and verify you take all the required classes to graduate. This plan is not definite and may change depending on your degree requirements. You must talk with an advisor in the department your degree falls under to make this as accurate as possible.

4. What courses outside my degree are required?

STA-21 students are required to take Leadership & Ethics (NVSC 4020), Leadership & Management (NVSC 2000), Naval Science Labs, English (6 hrs.), World Culture/Regional (3 hrs.), Physics (6 hrs.), and Calculus (6 hrs.) on top of their degree requirements. MECEP students are required to take Amphibious Warfare (NVSC 3110), Leadership & Ethics (NVSC 4020), and Naval Science Labs.

5. I am interested in the STA-21 Program, how do I apply?

The first step is to visit to determine if you are eligible, and then continue with the application process. Once accepted into the program you must apply to those universities with an NROTC unit and receive an acceptance letter before continuing on in the program.

6. I am interested in the MECEP program, how do I apply?

Visit the MARADMIN to locate application deadlines for the MECEP program, and review MCO 1560.15L (link to document) for application instructions. Once you have been accepted you will have to apply and receive an acceptance letter from a university with an NROTC unit.

7. I need to defer my admissions, how do I go about this?

Deferring your admissions is very simple. Go to the Office of Admissions webpage and on the right hand column click on "Admitted: What's Next?" On the right hand side you will see "Admission Deferment" where you will find another link that takes you to a login page, use CIS information, to fill out a request form. After the form has been completed contact the Office of Admissions to see if a letter is required from the Naval Science Department explaining your deferment. You will need to pay your deposit in order from the university to hold your spot.

8. I need a departmental letter to defer my admissions, with whom do I need to speak?

Please contact the main office explaining you are an incoming STA-21/MECEP student who is deferring their admissions and a letter from the Naval Science Department is needed. The department will write a letter on your behalf and send it to the Admissions Office.

9. Where should I live? I have children, where are the best schools?

Depends on how far of a commute you are willing to make every day to campus. We have a few staff members that have a 30-40 minute commute to work, and others with only a 10-20 minute commute. I recommend visiting our family section on the active duty page that shows a few of the places our personnel and students currently live. There are also links regarding school rankings and rental/realtor companies in the area for your convenience. If you have any questions regarding a particular location, please contact the main office, and we will be happy to help.

10. How much is tuition?

Tuition is based on your year and number of credit hours. A full-time student generally pays anywhere from $3,000-$4,000 a semester (remember, you are eligible for in-state tuition rates). Tuition includes additional class fees and UTA pass.

11. I am in the reserves, am I able to participate in the NROTC commissioning program?

There is a possibility to apply for the MECEP/STA-21 program. Review the MECEP document MCO 1560.15L, current MECEP MARADMIN, or STA-21 website ( for further information.

12. Who do I speak with about payment issues? Tuition payment?

For military payment issues, please speak with Mr. Joe Costello once arriving. He will be able to assist with most issues. Tuition payment for MECEP students are handled at the tuition office located in the Student Services Building (SSB) on campus. STA-21 students should speak with Mr. Joe Costello in regards to their allotted tuition given through the STA-21 program.

13. How do I register for classes?

Once you have paid the enrollment fee, registered and completed new student orientation, and provided your immunization records to Health Services will you then be able to register for classes through CIS. Registering for classes should be discussed during your new student orientation. If you have any issues, please contact the main office.

14. Are there tutors available?

Yes, the NROTC Unit has a tutor available throughout the year for students to meet with. If the subject is outside the tutor's expertise the University of Utah has instructors on each subject available to meet with students on campus. For more information, please visit our current student's page and click campus resources.

15. Are there mandatory study hours I have to participate in?

Yes. See advisors and student handbook. We recommend all students take advantage of the wardroom, study room, and computer lab for studying. These rooms are only available to the NROTC Unit and are generally quiet 24/7 days a week and available to use at any time of the day.

16. How much time does NROTC participation take up during the week?

This depends on whether you have duty during the week, if you are taking any Naval Science Courses that semester, and your battalion responsibilities. Generally, you will spend every other morning performing drill and/or physical training, and every Thursday afternoon you will attend lab from 1500-1700. This ends up adding up to about 10 hours a week.

17. What can I expect when I check in as a MECEP Marine?

Please contact the NROTC before checking in, this helps us prepare for your arrival. MECEP students arrive in your alphas and STA-21 applicants arrive in your khaki uniform. There are a few items you will need to be sure to bring with you, please review the check list (link to the check-in process).

18. What will I do during the summers, and holiday breaks as a MECEP or STA-21?

All active duty students are required to attend classes year-round, and, unless you are on leave, you are required to be available and on deck during university breaks. Leave is generally granted during holiday if requested.

19. What scholarship/financial assistance are available for me as a MECEP?

There are several ways MECEP students can receive financial assistance. Contact the Veteran's Support Center at (801) 587-7722 and they can discuss with you the possibility of using your GI Bill, and assist in finding available scholarships and/or financial aid assistance. If you are a Purple Heart recipient you receive free tuition.

20. Are texbooks rentals or do I have to purchase them?

Unfortunately, the University of Utah does not have a book rental program. Most of the course materials can be purchased at a lower cost through Amazon, or the Campus Store has used materials for purchase. Naval Science books are provided by the NROTC Unit.

Last Updated: 11/14/17